How to Transfer Whatsapp Chat iPhone to Android | Complete guide
One of the most crucial things you want to carry forward with you when switching phones is your chat history.
Most apps and chat platforms allow you to carry years of chat history with you. An outlier here is WhatsApp. You can use cloud backups to keep moving your chat’s history from one mobile phone to the next as long as you stay on Android or iOS. But switching WhatsApp between iOS and Android has meant losing your conversations. Thankfully, this is about to change.
See also: How to take screenshots on the Google Pixel 6
WhatsApp is the most famous and popular chat platform on the globe. With over 2.5 billion users, the service confides on Google Drive and Apple iCloud to maintain online chat backups. As a free platform, this makes sense to extenuating storage costs for WhatsApp – my own WhatsApp backup clocks in at over 15 gigabytes.
Although, it isn’t possible to directly connect and transfer encrypted backups between iCloud and Drive. But, no one platform integrates deeply with the competing platform’s phones. Apple does not even provide an iCloud app for Android devices.
WhatsApp has worked with Samsung and Google to permit local transfers of WhatsApp backups from an Apple iPhone to an Android device. You will have to wait a little longer if you’re looking to transfer your WhatsApp chats from an Android device to an iPhone. And WhatsApp claims that the feature should be available later in 2023
Read below to learn how to transfer your WhatsApp data from iOS to Android. With easy steps.
How to transfer chats from an iPhone to an Android phone
Let’s start with Android 12. Google has added operating-system-level changes to allow users to bring their WhatsApp chat histories from iPhones to Android devices. The feature is limited to Pixel phones but should be available to all new smartphones that launch with Android 12.
- Let’s start the guide step-by-step.
- You will need a freshly reset smartphone with Android 12.
- Connect the iPhone to your Android 12 smartphone via USB-C to Lightning cable.
- Follow the on-screen guidelines to import all or selected data from the iPhone to your Android 12 smartphone.
- Tap the continue to finish transferring data.
- When prompted during the transfer process, scan the QR code shown on the Android smartphone using your iPhone.
- Scanning the QR code will pop open WhatsApp on the iPhone. Tap the start button, and you’re good to go.
See also: Android 12 and availability on your Pixel Phones
How to transfer WhatsApp chats from an iPhone to an Android phone
WhatsApp announced the feature to move chats between platforms earlier this year alongside a partnership with Samsung. This waves off the requirement for Android 12 on Samsung devices but does make for more detailed steps.
- Reset your Android smartphone.
- When prompted by the onboard smart-switch app, connect your iPhone to your Samsung smartphone via a USB-C to Lightning cable.
- Select the apps and data you wish to transfer, including WhatsApp.
- When prompted, scan the QR code shown on the phone’s screen.
- The QR code will open WhatsApp on your iPhone. Tap the start button to continue transferring the data of your wish.
- You can now finish setting up your Android smartphone.
- Once complete, open WhatsApp and log in using the same number as on the iPhone.
- Tap the Import button when prompted to complete the process.
Transferring WhatsApp chats from iPhone to Android is a simple process that should not take more than a few minutes, depending on the size of the WhatsApp backup. The transfer takes place locally and remains encrypted. All media, including photos, history, chat, and videos, should carry forward, but you’ll lose out on your WhatsApp call history.
I’m the founder as well as Editor-in-Chief @4lolipop. I love technology and have been addicted to it since childhood. I always keep myself updated about upcoming trends in the tech industry and I will try my best to keep my community up to date about these trends.