One of the most crucial things you want to carry forward with you when switching phones is your chat’s history.
Most apps and chat platforms make it possible to carry years of chat history with you, an outlier here is WhatsApp. Definitely, you can use cloud backups to keep moving your chat’s history from one mobile phone to the next as long as you are staying on Android or iOS. But, switching WhatsApp between iOS and Android has meant losing all of your conversations. Thankfully, this is about to change.
WhatsApp is the most famous and popular chat platform on the globe. With over 2.5 billion users, the service confides on Google Drive and Apple iCloud respectively to maintain online chat backups. As a free platform, this makes sense to extenuating storage costs for WhatsApp – my own WhatsApp backup clocks in at over 15 gigabytes.
Although, it isn’t possible to directly connect and transfer encrypted backups between iCloud and Drive. But, no one platform integrates deeply on the competing platform’s phones. Apple does not even provide an iCloud app for Android devices. This crucially leaves local transfers as the only option to move data from one platform to the other.
WhatsApp has worked with Samsung and Google to permit local transfers of WhatsApp backups from an Apple iPhone to an Android device. So, You will have to wait a little bit longer if you’re looking to transfer your WhatsApp chats from an Android device to an iPhone. And WhatsApp claims that the feature should be available later in 2021.
Read down below to learn how to transfer your WhatsApp data from iOS to Android. With easy steps.
How to transfer chats from an iPhone to an Android 12 phone
Let’s start with Android 12, Google has added operating-system-level changes to permit users to bring their WhatsApp chat histories from iPhones to Android devices. Right now, the feature is limited to Pixel phones but should be available to all new smartphones that launch with Android 12.
- Let’s start the guide step-by-step.
- You will need a freshly reset smartphone with Android 12.
- Connect the iPhone to your Android 12 smartphone via USB-C to Lightning cable.
- Follow the on-screen guidelines to import all or selected data from the iPhone to your Android 12 smartphone.
- Tap the continue to finish transferring data.
- When prompted during the transfer process, scan the QR code shown on the Android smartphone using your iPhone.
- Scanning the QR code will pop open WhatsApp on the iPhone. Tap the start button and you’re good to go.
How to transfer WhatsApp chats from an iPhone to a Samsung phone
WhatsApp announced the feature to move chats between platforms earlier this year alongside a partnership with Samsung. This waves off the requirement for Android 12 on Samsung devices but does make for more involved steps.
- Reset your Samsung smartphone.
- When prompted by the onboard smart-switch app, connect your iPhone to your Samsung smartphone via a USB-C to Lightning cable.
- Select the apps and data you wish to transfer, including WhatsApp.
- When prompted, scan the QR code shown on the phone’s screen.
- The QR code will open WhatsApp on your iPhone. Tap the start button to continue transferring data of your wish.
- You can now finish setting up your Samsung smartphone.
- Once complete, open WhatsApp and log in using the same number as on the iPhone.
- Tap the Import button when prompted to complete the process.
Transferring WhatsApp chats from iPhone to Android is a pretty simple process that should not take more than a few minutes relying on the size of the WhatsApp backup. The transfer takes place locally and remains encrypted. All media including photos, history, chat, and videos should carry forward, but you’ll end up losing out on your WhatsApp call history.